SAN DIEGO – NEW RECORDING SYSTEM CHANGES
The San Diego County Recorders’ Office is implementing a new Recording system on December 15, 2014. The system works differently than our current system and some things will change. Many of the changes are “behind the scenes” and will not be noticeable to you, our customer. However, other changes may affect you.
The following is a summarized list of changes you will see when we begin with our new system on December 15, 2014:
- Scanning for recorded documents will be done at the counter for walk in documents. Scanning must be done before the document can be recorded.
- Scanned documents will have the recording information applied electronically to the image and the paper document will have a physical label affixed to it. This means the location of the recording information on the electronic image and the ‘paper document will not be in the exact same position
- Documents will be limited to no more than 200 names per document.
- Our office will no longer offer the conformed copy service. Please see the attached letter for more information.
- Recording numbers for maps will have a dedicated numbering series. In our current system, they are numbered in the same series as other recorded documents. In our new system, all recorded maps will be recorded with a number such as 2014-7XXXXXX. It will increment consecutively each year and begin again in a new year.
- Assessment maps that have multiple pages will each receive a separate, consecutive number. For instance, a three (3) page map in book 75 will be: Book 75 Page 1, Book 75 Page 2, Book 75 Page 3.
Our map books are set to 100 pages. All pages will be kept in the same book however, maps with multiple pages that are recorded at the end of the book may force the pages beyond 100 or all move into the next book number. The system will select based on how many pages the map would extend the book- if up to three (3) pages it will remain in the same book if more than three (3) pages it will force the entire map into the next book.
- Map numbering will not be changing. We will continue to assign map numbers based on the map type as we do in our current system.
- Government customers who receive invoices will experience changes. Additional information will be sent to individual customers by our Accounting staff.
Changes planned for mid to late 2015:
- Electronic recording is planned for those customers who are eligible based on current state law. This will be very beneficial to government agencies. More information will be communicated as we start the implementation process.
- Immediate document return. This means that documents presented for recording in one of our offices will be recorded and the originals returned to you immediately. We are planning informational sessions and system demonstrations in the next few weeks. We will email invitations once the dates and times are set. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or we can be of further assistance.
Categorized in: Legal Procedures