More jobs coming soon.
Somach Simmons & Dunn, a mid-size environmental law firm, has an immediate opening for a paralegal with a minimum of 5 years’ substantive litigation experience with eDiscovery proficiency, trial preparation, and trial presentation experience. This individual will work closely with attorneys, other paralegals, and staff to assist clients with a wide variety of environmental matters in multiple state and federal jurisdictions, as well as matters venued before administrative bodies, and state and local agencies.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Conduct research and review all applicable federal and state laws, rules, local rules, and standing orders to assess and provide procedural guidance to counsel and staff;
- Review a variety of pleadings, correspondence, and orders/decisions in order to docket appropriate deadlines using docket management software in conjunction with Microsoft Outlook;
- Draft various documents for attorney review, including but not limited to: correspondence, pleadings, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Public Records Act (PRA) requests, discovery requests/responses, declarations, motion papers, subpoenas and any document requests transmitted therewith, stipulations, proposed orders, internal memoranda and/or client communications, status reports, and others, where appropriate;
- Develop case management and organization strategies unique to the needs of each matter;
- Communicate effectively with case/matter team (attorneys and staff) to manage projects effectively and efficiently;
- Create and maintain litigation matrices and spreadsheets to track relevant information (e.g., discovery requests/responses, deposition schedules, expert/consultant retention, case contacts);
- Review draft briefs and memoranda to: (1) check cited/quoted authority and shepardize cited cases using LexisAdvance; (2) verify appropriate citation format based upon filing jurisdiction (i.e., Bluebook or California Style Manual); (3) review and validate quoted portions/excerpts sourced from other cited material; (4) proof read and propose substantive revisions and edits to counsel with an eye toward proper grammar, punctuation, usage, syntax, etc.;
- Manage document/ESI collection, and maintain collection of evidence, including that which is produced pursuant to discovery or in conjunction with an Administrative Record (AR), within an eDiscovery platform database(s);
- Communicate professionally with counsel, clients, third parties, experts, and vendors;
- Coordinate with case/matter review team to conduct review, analysis, searching/tagging, etc., of incoming documents, via collection or party production;
- Collect, organize, prepare, and process documents/ESI for import, review, and production;
- Assist attorneys through all phases of litigation/case handling, including preparation for hearings and trial;
- Possess skills necessary to accurately interpret court procedures and rules, and general knowledge of federal and state court deadlines; and
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Candidates must have either: (1) a paralegal certificate from an ABA approved program and a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a litigation paralegal; (2) a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a litigation paralegal; OR (3) 5 years’ experience as a litigation paralegal with extensive experience administering and managing eDiscovery databases for litigation matters; and
- Experience in environmental law, CEQA, and administrative law is desired but not mandatory.
- Ability to efficiently gather, maintain, track, and organize information, documents, and evidence;
- Ability to analyze and accurately categorize, identify, code, and summarize documents in an efficient manner;
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to work independently, and as a team, delegate when necessary, and evaluate workload in order to meet deadlines; and
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently in such a manner as to deliver an accurate, high-quality work product.
Software and Technology Proficiency:
- Technologically savvy and proficient with the Microsoft Suite of products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Experience using electronic billing software, document management software and systems, including network drives and servers; and
- Not less than 3 years’ experience using and maintaining evidence within eDiscovery databases in one or more of the platforms widely used within the industry (e.g., iPro, Concordance, Relativity, etc.). Although not required, experience managing and administering eDiscovery databases/platforms is highly desired.
The clients we serve and matters we handle offer a unique opportunity to gain insight into the many different facets of environmental law and policy. This is a fantastic opportunity for any candidate who seeks a position working as an integral, respected member of a team, providing excellent client service and work product of the highest quality.
Our firm offers a congenial and inclusive work environment, competitive salary including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits, HSA, and optional medical and dependent care FSA, 401k, and profit sharing plans as well as paid parking. Insurance benefits are 100% employer-paid for both employee and qualifying dependents.
Somach Simmons & Dunn is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send a resume with cover letter including salary requirements to email@example.com or Somach Simmons & Dunn, Attn: Human Resources, 500 Capitol Mall, Suite 1000, Sacramento, CA 95814 (no phone calls please).
Boutique law firm dealing in Estate Planning, Probate, Trust Administration and related litigation as well as Tax Law is looking for a part-time administrative assistant to start right away. Successful candidate will work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Create a welcoming and professional environment for clients, vendors, and other guests
- Answer incoming phone calls, check voicemails, and take messages and forward to appropriate recipients
- Sort mail and incoming faxes
- Prepare mail log for incoming mail, including faxes, and send to attorney, paralegal and/or legal secretary via email.
- Inventory, order, and manage office supplies.
- Prepare simple correspondence to clients, courts, and others.
- Open new client files, scan documents, file away document in client physical and electronic files
- Schedule appointments
- Create reminders on Outlook calendar to follow up on pending tasks only (excludes hearings, deadlines, and related reminders)
- Help with any other office tasks as assigned
- Experience working in a legal office and experience with probate/trusts is a plus
- Familiarity with using naming systems for electronic records and ability to accurately sort electronic documents
- Excellent client relation skills and ability to maintain calm and professional demeanor
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skill, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work well in a small team environment
- Ability to effectively work independently
- Positive attitude with an ability to adapt to rapidly changing needs and conditions
- Technology proficient
- Experience using Microsoft Office and Clio Client Manager
- Experience mailing and filing legal notices/documents
Dependent upon experience
Submit resume and cover letter to Travis Floyd, firstname.lastname@example.org.