Effective July 5, 2017, mandatory settlement conferences (MSCs) for cases assigned to Department 98 will be offered under the same procedures that exist for MSCs for cases assigned to Departments 91 and 97.
At the final status conference (FSC) for personal injury cases heard in Departments 91, 97 and 98 at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, the court will order selected cases to an MSC pursuant to CRC Rule 3.1380 as follows:
• MSCs will be held after the FSC and before the trial date.
• MSCs will be scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
• MSCs will be conducted at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in the 9th floor conference rooms (at the back of the cafeteria).
Each MSC will be supervised by the judge who made the order and staffed by settlement attorneys from the following organizations:
• American Board of Trial Advocates
• Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
• Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
Whenever possible, these organizations will provide a settlement team with a plaintiff and a defense attorney.
Pursuant to CRC 3.1380(b), trial counsel, parties and persons with full authority to settle the case must personally attend the conference, unless excused by the court for good cause. If any consent to settle is required for any reason, the party with that consensual authority must be personally present at the conference. Requests for telephonic appearances are discouraged. Such requests must be submitted at the FSC. The court will enter a minute order for cases selected for this program.
Categorized in: Legal Procedure
|<< previous article||next article >>|